Chilling Tales For Dark Nights is looking for people who want to contribute by recording narration for us. As our site and podcast continues to grow, we are striving to improve the quality of all aspects of our productions, especially narration.
With this in mind, we require higher standards for narration in order to continually improve our recordings.
If you would like to apply to be a narrator for the site, you need to have the following prerequisites:
1) You must have a good quality microphone with which to record. This doesn’t mean the microphone has to be expensive, but it should at least be a USB condenser microphone. Here are some examples of good microphones in an affordable price range:
Examples of microphones that are NOT acceptable for narration are: headset/gaming microphones, microphones that plug in to your computer’s 3/8″ microphone jack, built-in laptop/computer mics, smartphone mics, digital pocket recorders.
2) You must have a quiet & isolated environment in which to record.This means you need to be able to record with the microphone away from noisy computer fans and other ambient noises. It also means you should have a place with some form of sound baffling to isolate your voice. Recording in a room with bare walls and floors means your voice will get reflected back into the mic which creates poor audio quality. You need to find a spot like a closet or other small space where you could put a blanket or sleeping bag on the wall/floor to block noise and isolate your voice. You don’t have to create a professional quality isolation booth in your house, but you have to ensure your audio is as clean and quiet as you can possible make it.
If you feel you can meet those two prerequisites and you’d like to help us out and become a reader, here’s how you can do it:
Record yourself narrating a sample from any short horror story – this can be an original story, public creepypasta, or something from a book you have on hand. Make the recording about one minute long. This will give us a good idea of the technical quality of the audio and how your voice sounds. Send this sample file to us using the submission form below.
- Once we approve of your sample, we will e-mail you a test story to produce.
- Once you have the story assigned to you, you will have 10 days to finish the recording and e-mail it to us. If you are able to produce the story in this timeframe and it is of a quality that meets our standards, we will welcome you aboard.
There is an amazing tutorial page found on the Wiki for Librivox. (Librivox is a project where volunteers record public domain books and turn them into free audiobooks). Their Wiki will have some information related solely to the Librivox project, but most of the information there is about microphones, software, technical specs, etc., is exactly what we need for Chilling Tales For Dark Nights.
You don’t have to worry about too much fine editing. We will take care of most of that. Please do not use software noise reduction on your recording. Just make sure you record in as quiet a setting as possible with as little background noise as you can get. We’ll clean up any noise that might be audible. Try to follow the Librivox Wiki for the minimum technical requirements.
1) Your name (or pseudonym, if they prefer) will be listed on our “Submit Story” and “Request Story” pages as a narrator of choice. In theory, someone submitting their story in this way can have their favorite narrator read their story, as opposed to a random one. Requests for a specific narrator will then be directed to that narrator for production.
2) Once a story is sent to a narrator for production, we will allow five days to “accept” the job. If we do not get a response within five days, the story will be assigned to the next available narrator/producer at our discretion.
3) Once a narrator “accepts” a job, we will expect a finished MP3 recording from them within 10 days. If a narrator fails to produce the story in this timeframe, we will assign the story to the next available narrator/producer at our discretion.
4) Narrators are *NOT* expected to be proficient in the production of music and/or sound effects. We ask only that they produce clean, high-quality home or studio vocal recordings, absent of pops, hissing, static and other noise and disturbances. If a recording is deemed to be of too low a quality to be featured on the site, the file will be returned to the narrator along with a reason for the rejection and a request to reproduce the piece.
By agreeing to be an official narrator, you must also acknowledge the following:
1) All stories narrated by you may be promoted or reproduced on your own personal YouTube and social media sites. However, ownership of the original story or text will remain with the respective author of the story text.
2) All content generated for Chilling Tales for Dark Nights and shared on other sites must give credit to the website and link back to it, as well as all other parties involved, including music producers (if noted), authors, etc. Failure to provide credit to these sources and to link back to Chilling Tales for Dark Nights will result in termination of the narrator’s status.
2) The work produced on behalf of Chilling Tales for Dark Nights may not be sold for profit by anyone, including the narrator, without the express written consent of site owner Craig Groshek, the author of the story/text and all other parties involved in production of the final audio recordings, including but not limited to sound effects engineers and musicians.
3) You may not limit Chilling Tales for Dark Night’s use of the final recording/production once it is provided to us. We will have every right to utilize the recording(s) for the purposes of promoting and advertising the website and its services in any capacity we deem fit.
4) Chilling Tales for Dark Nights retains the right to terminate a narrator’s status as an “official narrator” in writing at any time, and a narrator likewise retains to right to resign in this same manner.
Official narrator page
As a narrator, you will be provided an official page on the site, and you will be asked to provide basic information about yourself, such as your state/country of residence, links to any of your social media pages, and messenger contact details. Much of the information is optional, but is requested to make the side more personal, and is intended to garner more attention for your work.
Official narrator e-mail address
You will also receive a Chilling Tales e-mail address for the purpose of corresponding with visitors to the site directly (i.e. email@example.com). A “contact” form on your official narrator’s page will allow visitors to communicate directly to you through your assigned e-mail.
That’s about it! We will let you know if we’ll use your recording or if you need to make some changes/improvements. Hopefully, it will be a fun experience for you.
If you have any questions about the whole process, contact us here and we will answer your question as best as we can.
Join us! Who needs sleep anyway?